Saturday 9 July 2011

A Vaction-Vacation

I am in need of a vacation-vacation. Ever since having children, I have changed my definition of what a vacation is. Pre-kids, a vacation was a magical moment in time, where you slept in late, drank a little too much, and had no plans whatsoever. Post-kids, a vacation now resembles a military exercise, where even pee breaks need to be scheduled into the day. Day trips are not decided on a whim, they revolve around nap time, meal time and bathroom time.

And my new definition for a vacation definitely does not include a whole lot of relaxing. Unless relaxing includes laundry, meal preparation, changing diapers, baths, timeouts, outfit changes, and buckets of your hard-earned money flying out the window of your non-pimped out minivan. There are no chilled out afternoons in the hammock, sipping pina coladas and working on your tan. And is it just me, or do vacations include a lot more fluids than they used , which is really inconvenient since you can't carry them on airplanes. Sunscreen, bug repellent, hand sanitizer, and After-Bite have replaced tanning oil, beer and Gatorade.

So when my husband finishes work in a few weeks and joins the girls and I in PEI, I think I will greet him very warmly at the airport, give him a big kiss and wave goodbye. I will be leaving for my vacation-vacation.

1 comment: