Wednesday 22 June 2011

Iqaluit

It has been a week since my last post, but since all they have in Iqaluit is equivalent to dial-up internet, my sanity prevented me from posting anything. I had to travel there for a Public Service Alliance of Canada North meeting, and I was excited to travel to this relatively new territory in Canada.

Here is a section of Iqaluit where the homes are on the water's edge.


I call this guy Grumpy Dog..


...and this guy I named Hungry Dog. I thought he was going to eat me.

The sled dogs are moved near the river for the summer months.


Cookie and I took in some local karaoke at the Legion, which according to my coworker Hugh, is the busiest Legion in Canada.

There was a tragedy in Iqaluit a few weeks ago, where a woman and her two young girls were killed by the woman's husband/children's father. This Dene man, on the conference with me, was drumming and singing a traditional song for the woman and her children. Beautiful.


The same man and an Inuit man performed at the closing of our conference.
This is me in front of the brand-new RCMP Headquarters in Iqaluit.
The Arctic's version of a willow tree.
Beautiful falls


Here is a picture of Cookie and our tour guide Mary at the new Tim Horton's in Iqaluit.

There is a beautiful graffiti mural on a building in Iqaluit. All of the images represent a part of Inuit culture.

This is the movie theatre in Iqaluit. It was inside of our hotel lobby, and had maybe 6 rows. Look how crowded it was for Cookie, Marie and I.

Cookie re-enacting Arctic exploration

A Hudson's Bay outpost for the fur trade
A tiny little church that has been is various forms of existence since 1578.

A view from town, looking out towards the ocean


The inukshuk in front of the RCMP detachment

1 comment:

  1. Great pics Ange! Can't wait to see you guys and the girls this summer!

    ReplyDelete