Thursday 23 June 2011

Salmon the Stalker

I am terrified of salmon. When I see it in magazines or at the store, I shudder. Seafood has been an evil presence in my life for years now, being from the East Coast of Canada, and I have slowly started to face my fear.

Growing up, I was not introduced to the highest quality of fish. We ate a lot of fish with bones in it, and when I repeatedly voiced concerns over choking hazards (which I pretended were legitimate, but really I just hated fish), I was probably seen as a whiny complainer. We were introduced to it all: haddock, halibut, clams, shrimp, mussels, oysters, lobster, scallops. But somewhere along the line, I deviated from my heritage. I began my 20-year under-the sea boycott, with one exception: fish sticks. Boy those little suckers are good eh? But not a true representation of the real deal.

As a mother, I feel very conflicted that I am not regularly introducing this healthy choice to my kids. For their sake, I have been slowly incorporating seafood into our meal options, although usually when Brent is out of town. He is a seafood atheist.

But salmon still scares me. It's different from the rest. It's not white, doesn't dwell in a shell. My friend Krista told me once, "Whenever you do try salmon for the first time, make sure it is fresh". So since Brent is out of town for the next few weeks, I am going to do it. Climb my Everest of the culinary world. The girls love seafood, so it is not them that I am worried about. Please, if you have a delicious salmon recipe that you would like to share, and help me in my journey, please do. I will post it on here as well so that others may also enjoy it.

See, I told you that salmon are scary.
Wish me well, friends. See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment