Monday 13 June 2011

Travelling with Children - A Joy for the Ages

In two weeks the girls and I will be flying cross-country. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this will be Sophie's 8th time and Maggie's 4th. During the past 3 years I have learned a trick or two about keeping the day as tantrum-free as possible. I will begin my mental preparation in about 8 days, followed by the actual packing. I have been stocking up on survival materials for the past few weeks. Here are my suggestions:

  • If you are planning on buying a portable DVD player buy one with a 'Hold' button. Our first one did not have one. Sophie pushed the buttons all day long and frustrated herself as well as Brent and I.
  • Bring empty, disposable sippy cups in your carry on. As soon as you are seated on the plane ask the flight attendant to fill one up whenever he/she has a free moment. That way your little one can have a drink during take-off to keep their ears popping. They sell those Take-N-Toss ones at Walmart, so if you want to chuck it out you won't be wasting lots of money.
  • Also, I try not to give the girls a drink about 30 minutes prior to boarding so that they are thirsty during take-off and will want to drink something.
  • For babies one and under, and depending on the length of your flight, take several changes of clothes. I firmly believe in karma and because you gave that guy the finger last week during rush hour, your baby's diaper is guaranteed to leak while flying. It is practically a scientific fact.
  • Go to the dollar store and buy some cheap toys that will entertain your child for even 10 minutes. If you have a few of these they will get you through those rough patches, and I'm not talking about turbulence. Wrap them in pretty paper and make sure they are not too big. Items such as light-up rings or a new package of crayons are Sophie's favorites.
  • Bring an empty plastic bag to use as a garbage bag. You can tie it to the arm of your fold-down tray and pass it to the flight attendant when your flight is almost over.
  • Try and sit towards the back of the plane. You get to board first, you are closer to the bathroom, and there is more action, which keeps children interested and occupied. Plus, if the flight attendants are out serving food and drinks sometimes I will let Sophie stretch her legs at the back of the plane.
  • Wal-Mart sells travel potty/toilet seats for kids which fold-up nicely and fit in a diaper bag.
  • Kiddie earphones are an absolute must. They are the perfect size, comfortable, and won't constantly be falling off of their little heads. Don't cheap-out and get the ones that just sit on their ears. Purchase headphones that completely cover their ears and are of good quality. You will get your money's worth and they will fit better.
  • Gravol. Some consider it a secret weapon. I can tell you from experience that it had the opposite effect on Sophie. My pharmacist friends will confirm that this is often the case, so don't try it for the first time on your travel day. It may be a disaster.
  • Pack breakfast and take it with you if you have an early flight. Also, kids can wear jammies to the airport and you can change them later on after you check your luggage.
  • Most importantly of all, always bring an emergency bag of cheesies. You may not need them but when all else fails I do not know one kid that will not sit quietly and eat some cheesies. You might get a solid 20 minutes out of that $3 gift from God. I am like most of you, not allowing my kids junk very often, but when it comes to travel, whatever works.
  • Bring lots of wipes. Cheesie fingers are messy :)

2 comments:

  1. You are a SAINT!!!!!! Things I would never think of. This is why I need you in my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen:)Maybe we should ditch the kids and go to the spa when you are in town next weekend!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete